May 14, 2012

Tuesday's Tip #1

I've decide to boost my content on my blog with a little tip hopefully once a week- we'll see how long I can keep it up (I have written a couple of tips right now to store for "rainy days" so hopefully I can keep 'em coming for a while)

Did you know that there is no standard way of displaying colors?

The colors from your camera, to your computer screen to whatever printer you use are all different! If you feel like the pictures you bring home from the store aren't as awesome as the ones in your camera it might be a color management issue.

There are several ways to overcome this:
  •  The most time consuming one is to calibrate colors but that's a whole blog post of it's own.
  •  I think for the average hobbyist photographer the best way to deal with this is to get your photos printed at a good place (*coughWallyWorldDoesntCountcough* there are many other offenders out there too) and once you've picked a good place keep getting your photos printed there.
 For example the place I get my canvas wraps done always looks a tad more green than my computer screen so I can send them files with a bit of a red hue on my screen and then they come out normal. Or the place I get my birth announcements made always prints a bit dark so I send them files that I've purposely made lighter so they come out normal.

Sound like too much effort? I agree. There are a few really awesome sites that actually check your colors for you!!! and before you ask- yes it costs more but its worth it! Usually most printing sites have a "professional" section- go ahead check it out! You don't have to show credentials etc. often you will find better pricing on larger orders and/or ways to get around any color issues you might have :)

For example Mpix is a solid service. (I am not affiliated in any way with them... though it would be cool if I was). I like their coating and their color correction service, yes you do pay more but I think it's well worth it!!!

Please subscribe to my blog, follow me on twitter or like my page on Facebook! I really appreciate any feedback or support that I get.

Warning! Rant coming : Now please LEAVE A COMMENT!!!! I can see you! Ok I can't actually see you but I CAN see my page views and they don't count me- so I know you are there!!! And there are a surprising number of you out there so please, for the love of all things good SAY SOMETHING :P Thanks!

Happy Snapping

No comments:

Post a Comment