Jul 31, 2012

Tuesday's Tip: How to get the Photos YOU want

Hi there!

Today I want to talk about how to get the kind of photos that you actually want. I have heard many people complain that they hired a photographer but then didn't like the pictures that they ended up bringing home.

There are 3 steps that I recommend when choosing a photographer that will help to make sure that you really get the pictures you were looking for.

1) Actually to talk/meet your photographer. While most photographers are friendly and easy to get along with, there are some who are very shy, super quiet or frankly kind of weird. If you can meet or talk over the phone you'll get a glimpse of how comfortable you are likely to feel with that person. You will remember having the pictures taken and if it was an awkward experience you will look at your photos differently. If it was a good experience the pictures are more likely to bring back those happy memories and make you feel good while you look good in them.


2) Look at other pictures they've taken. Some degree of stocking your potential photographer is ok :) Dig through their work. Look for both photos you like and photos that aren't your favorite. Do they all have a similar look to them? You'll want to find a photographer who has lots of their old work to look at, it helps you know that they've been around the block a few times and that they know what they are doing. It may not all be on their official website often time though photographers will have a blog or Facebook page with even more pictures to look through. You'll also want to image yourself in some of their photos. Every photographer comes to develop their own style by the way they take their pictures and the way they finish them. Some like very bold colors or strong black and whites, while others keep things more natural- pick what's the most appealing to you. A warning though photographers who have a little bit of everything on their websites can be "wild cards" and they may surprise you with a new way of doing things with your pictures.


3) Contact past clients. This suggestions can be hard to do if you don't already know someone who has used a specific photographer. Despite a certain level of awkward shyness it can be one of the best things do to. Listen to the persons opinion but most of all ask them WHY they feel that way and think to yourself, "would I feel the same way?". As I photographer I'm more than happy to give you the contact information of people I've worked with in the past. I tend to work with people year after year and I really enjoy those clients who have become like friends.

So to summarize getting the pictures that you want is as easy as: talk or meet your photographer; make sure you like their other work and can imagine yourself in it; and make sure past clients were happy too!

As a photographer I do my very best to understand what my clients want so that I can make them happy- it's a huge part of my job and I really enjoy that personal touch of getting to know people.

Comment and let me know what you think is the most important thing to look for in a photographer

No comments:

Post a Comment