Sep 7, 2010

I find it funny how much you can learn without realizing it. Photoshop World Conference in Las Vegas was a good time but there wasn't one workshop that stood out to me. However in hindsight- I took a lot away from the experience.



I remember looking at a showgirl photograph in Vegas and thinking, “They used a shoe flash mounted right on the camera- that light is harsh and unflattering...hmm...if they would have used a softbox and rotated to keep the shoulder dim then filled in some of the shadow under her chin with a reflector... That would have been much better" Of course after having this thought I promptly smacked myself! I doubt the "photographer" of the imaged cared to do anything more than take a picture of the showgirl.

I also turned my camera off manual mode (as I had previously felt somewhat guilted to shoot in manual by the many- "you're not a pro if you don't shoot in manual" messages out there. Instead I turned my camera to Aperture priority and WOW I took some better pictures! I knew my exposure triangle and I had a "medium" idea of where all the controls on my specific camera where (my new camera and I are still getting to know each other)but things turned out better in less time when I let my camera do a little bit of the work for me.

Although purchasing CS5 (which has some retardedly awesome features- I agree I haven’t found a feature with the word “smart” in it that I don’t like) is still a while off in the budget for me- I did finally trade in my "bar of soap" for a Wacom tablet. I am somewhat sceptical of the learning curve- the sales man kept reassuring me that within a couple of hours I would have it all figured out- I think it will be more like a couple of weeks but we'll see. Maybe I’ll post a side-by- side comparison and see if I can tell the difference in 2 photos edited in the same amount of time.

In short Las Vegas was sweet and after I get through the backlog created from taking some away- I have lots of new pictures :)

No comments:

Post a Comment