Jan 22, 2012

Wedding Without Breaking the Bank

As a photographer and general lover of romance- I've found myself at a couple of weddings and I'm always surprised by how unique each bride is. What I find particularly interesting is how two weddings with the same budget can look so very different. I always feel bad for the girl who's wedding doesn't match her personal style. In my travels I've found that style doesn't have to break the bank or have you up 24-7 crafting more than Martha herself. Here is some of that wisdom.

* Warning shameless self-promotion ahead!*

Book Glowing Photography: P 

Ok, all joking aside- I do offer some pretty sweet wedding deals, but that is not 100% my point. My point is look for the "little guys", newer local starts ups can be great places to find deals on services. Some people may worry about the risk of choosing a local little guy but as long as you do your due diligence to check references and previous work, I don't think it’s any riskier than choosing a larger or better known supplier.
 







         For this tip think:
  • photography
  • invitations
  • make-up artists 
  • caters
  









 
Borrow More than one thing

Something borrowed, something blue... how about A LOT borrowed or acquired used. Here's an earth shaker: most people only use their wedding stuff once. But don't just settle for anyone's leftovers maybe try an approach like, “I have a vision in my head, I'd love to see if what you have fits that". And if borrowing or lending isn't really your thing there a ton of consignment galleries and thrift stores offering great solutions for up to 90% less on the price tag.

For this tip think:

  • dresses
  • suits
  • center pieces
  • decorations












Be Yourself and Be Unique

One of the most beautiful bouquets I’ve ever seen was made of feathers and buttons, which held up to the rigor of the day much better and cost a fraction of the price of live flowers. Plus, no preservation fees! Another adorable idea I saw was a wedding in a field with hay bails with beautiful fabric scraps on them instead of costly rented benches or chairs. At my wedding instead of hiring a DJ we played all of the cheesy mix tapes we had made each other while we were dating. The key here is to express something about who YOU are and it will often cost less than the "keeping up with the Kardashian's" way of doing things

For this tip think:
  • Really anything!

No comments:

Post a Comment