Jan 25, 2012

What to look for in a Wedding Photographer

I didn’t want to write today about what questions to ask your photographer, nor did I want to tell you what aesthetic in your wedding photographer’s art you should prefer- that’s your choice and it is subjective and personal. So what do I want to tell you about? I think there is a lesser considered but very important attribute that any fabulous wedding photographer should have. This quality is a lot less about the skill or training of your photographer and more to do with their motivations. I feel every good wedding photographer should have a deep desire to capture the innate beauty of love.

Isn’t funny how you can cruise through some photographer’s portfolios and see nothing but young, stunning people. Not that there is anything wrong with being what is societally accepted as beautiful, but I do have issue with photographers who seem to only photograph the young, thin, hip and beautiful. Love is beautiful regardless of what kind of package it comes in.

I have respect for a photographer that prominently highlights images of a couple that maybe took longer to find each other or who aren’t model thin. They highlight that photo because that image captures the essence of the moment and the joy in love. Capturing true beauty goes beyond white balance, depth of field etc. I think it’s about respecting and reverencing love.

So seriously consider the motives of your prospective wedding photographer. I’m not perfect, not even close some days. But I breathe to be behind the lens for that next tender moment. The stolen kisses, the softly held hands, the looks across the room...






…and my life is blessed when I get to capture those looks again. 


 If you like what you read please subcribe and leave a comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment